[x264-devel] PPC profile/benchmarks/computational complexity

Guillaume POIRIER gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Tue Dec 9 23:05:03 CET 2008

Hello,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:29 PM, R. Brouard <opensource at musemagic.com> wrote:

> ;)  I'm looking at some embedded ports where they are using a PPC based
> core.
>
> Thx for the below, I'm also looking for, with all vectorized instr. on,
> "extreme" profile, target bitrate, input mode.  As you would expect to
> see in a computational complexity or a "MIPS" document from say ARM or
> TI. So total CPU time, total size of input test stream, fps, memory
> usage requirements and then a breakdown of each module

Benchmarking/analysing such things is a job on its own. This takes
time, which is resource I lack.

Since I'm not quite sure I understand your final goal is, you should
consider that x86 port is already extremely optimized and would
probably run great on an Atom CPU, and that PPC port is fairly well
optimized and would run somewhat well on embedded PPC7450.

Any other general purpose CPU is, IMHO not worth being considered
because there aren't any SIMD routines written for them and I will
take time and money to write them for new CPUs.

> My apologies for the newbie nomenclature vs. what you are using.  I am
> looking to expand, leverage on your existing optimizations and port and
> just joined this list.  So, also ramping up.

Good.

> But first I have to give benchmark feasibility that x264 will "fit" to
> move forward, thus your G4 benchmarking is most applicable to map an
> est. over.

If you need to access a PPC machine, you could request an account
here: http://powerdev.osuosl.org/. Note however that the machine they
offer access to is a PPC970, which is quite the opposite of an
embedded CPU.

Guillaume
--
Only a very small fraction of our DNA does anything; the rest is all
comments and ifdefs.

Dwight L. Moody  - "I have had more trouble with myself than with any
other man I've met."