[x264-devel] Multislicing support

List, Peter Peter.List at t-systems.com
Tue Feb 19 10:05:10 CET 2008

Dear Etienne,
Thank you very much for taking this task! I believe this was an important effort for x264! (Even more so, if you will manage to split a frame into slices of specific byte sizes).

Just one comment to your "--no-mv-inter-slices" option.
To my knowledge the H.264 standard says, that inter-slice prediction is forbidden in ALL CASES! To my understanding it is the very meaning of slices to...

> allowing one slice to be completely removed without causing any harm to
> the decompression of the remaining ones.

...as you said below. There is no other reason for having slices at all.
Most of all, that would mean, if one would turn this option off, the resulting bitstream would NOT BE H.264 complient!

Probably I missed something! Please explain.

Best regards
Peter