[x264-devel] {Spam?} Re: Multislicing support

Etienne Bömcke etienne.bomcke at uclouvain.be
Tue Feb 19 11:37:11 CET 2008

It seems like I wasn't as clear as I thought. Correct me if I'm wrong,
but I think that the H.264 standard only forbids inter-slices
prediction inside of one frame. Removing a slice of one frame ony
shouldn't cause any harm to the decoding process of the rest of the
frame.
The option I added (no-mv-inter-frames, complicated name but it was
the best I could come up with. If anybody has a better idea, I'm open
for suggestions) allows one to encode a sequence in two or more
completely independant slices. That means that you could remove a
given slice from the whole sequence while the remaining slices could
still be decoded.
Basically I modified the motion estimation related code and restrained
the search range so that a macroblock of a given slice can only be
predicted from a macroblock in the same slice, even when predicting
from previous frames.
As I said in one of my first e-mails, the objective for this task is
to be able to replace a part of an H.264 sequence by a whole different
sequence directly in the bitstream. This restriction allows one to do
that without any decompression error cause by the slice replacement.

I hope I'm clear enough this time, if not do not hesitate to ask me
further explanations.

Regards,

Etienne

PS : Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it.