[x264-devel] default level

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:22:55 CEST 2008

> A simple solution is to just set the default level to 4.0. or 4.1, a
> better solution would be to adjust the level (if not requested by the
> user) to the lowest level according to the requested frame size, frame
> rate and bitrate. I know it is not perfect but it will work in most
> cases.

You cannot guarantee an exact level calculation until after the video
has been encoded--at which point you can no longer go back and modify
the stream header since the library has already outputted it!

Setting 4.1 by default would be reasonable, but that would risk
creating streams that say they're level-compliant but actually aren't.

Dark Shikari