[x264-devel] default level

Mathieu Monnier manao at melix.net
Tue Jul 15 19:24:36 CEST 2008

Hi,

> See debate at
> http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2008-January/003922.html

I thought the previous discussion had lead to a patch.

> (The part that's not acceptable is actually implementing all the
> restrictions or enabling VBV by default.)

What you presented the last time (level chosen solely on frame
resolution, frame rate and DPB size) still sounds good to me, and would
be better than to set 4.1 by default.

It would help on low end decoders (apple tv & co), since it wouldn't set
4.1 on low resolution streams, and it would still be OK for high
resolution stuff, provided the user didn't ask for 16 refs (and that
won't be decodable by hardware decoders whatever the level).

Regards,

Mathieu