[x264-devel] The results of your email commands

James Gardiner james.gardiner at digitall.net.au
Tue May 13 11:52:06 CEST 2008

Hello all again,
Just wanted to get some feed back on the lists thoughts on new developments
on AVC support.
Especially Panasonic's AVC-Intra based on Profile High 4:2:2 (With 10 bit
colour).

If you have not noticed, I jump onto this list every 3-6 months and point
out developments on H.264.

I am a big supporter of H.264 and blog about it often.  Mainly in the area
of how the newer profiles, like Panasonic is using in its new hi-end
tapeless workflow cameras.

I suppose, this is not that interesting to x264 as it is an encoder, but
adoption of H264 4:2:2/4:4:4 4k 10bit is a sign of the future.

Talk about using proprietary codecs such as the REDcode codec as a codec for
distributing 4k video streams, is to me, ludicrus.  But then again, if is
the only available hi-quality codec that supports 4k and 10bt colour.  Thats
what will be adopted.

supporting the higher profiles is unliekly to be trivial, but, by now,
should be crawling up the priority list for x264 enhancements.

James