[x264-devel] ./configure fails at line 305 with nasm 2.05

Jonathan Jeffus jjeffus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 04:34:01 CET 2008

Hi,

I've got the latest code from git and I have the latest nasm (also installed
from git repo.) It fails with the following message:

root at media:~/x264# ./configure --enable-shared
Found no assembler
Minimum version is yasm-0.6.1 or nasm-2.0
If you really want to compile without asm, configure with --disable-asm.

It prints the message at line 305 and if I insert a an echo $AS then it
prints "yasm", even though :
root at media:~/x264# which yasm
root at media:~/x264# whereis yasm
yasm:

After looking at as_check() I noticed that it uses $AS which defaults to
yasm. Initially I thought that, since I'm on a x86-64 CPU, the problem is
that the code on line 249 is missing under the case statement for x86-64. In
other words 'as_check || AS="nasm"' should be on line 260.

This does not work though, unfortunately.

My personal solution is, I'm going to use yasm since that's the default tool
- problem solved. But I suppose if someone was a nasm fetishist then they
might be upset by this bug. :-D

Cheers,
- Jonathan