[x264-devel] x264 codec

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:06:35 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Alan Harris <alan at resoft.co.uk> wrote:
> Jason
>
> Thanks. As I suspected I was just showing my ignorance of the present
> state of affairs.
>
> Yes Xvid have the library available for direct integration, but they
> also have a "codec" which when installed is directly visible to Windows
> via the video device drivers and available as a filter. As this is dated
> this year, I assumed it was typical of processes in use.

Xvid hasn't been developed significantly for many years: it does
indeed date originally from a time period when people still used VfW
encoders, albeit this was quite a while ago (very early 2000s).

If you really, really, really want to use x264 with VfW, there are
some (unsupported) patches that add support for it.  However, I cannot
guarantee that they will work as you need them to, nor do I recommend
them.

Dark Shikari