[x264-devel] motion estimation

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 29 09:50:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Oleg Terner wrote:

> Is it possible to make use of the motion estimation part of the x264?

Of course it's possible. x264 uses the the motion estimation part of x264.
If you really meant "Is it possible to abuse the motion estimation part of
x264 for something other than encoding h264", then you'll have to specify
more precisely what you want.

> We have looked at the h->mb.mv  values just after the call to
>     x264_macroblock_analyse( h );
> in the routine  x264_slice_write( x264_t *h ) in the file encoder.c.
> Sometimes this gives the correct values, and sometimes not.

Are you looking at the mv of an intra block, or an unused direction in
bidir? Fail.

Are you complaining that an encoder's motion estimation only minimizes
block-wise residual, and doesn't find real motion of objects in the scene?
Yes, motion estimation for vision is harder than motion estimation for
compression.

--Loren Merritt