[x264-devel] compilation failure on NetBSD (ssse3 related)

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Wed Feb 11 11:40:35 CET 2009

hbent at cs.oberlin.edu writes:

> On Tue, February 10, 2009 7:09 pm, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM,  <hbent at cs.oberlin.edu> wrote:
>>> After the large intra asm pred commit x264 no longer compiles on NetBSD
>>> 5.
>>>  This appears to be because it is unconditionally emitting SSSE3
>>> instructions, which binutils 2.16.1 doesn't understand.  Perhaps there
>>> should be ifdefs around the ssse3 (and perhaps sse2?) functions.
>>
>> We already require a modern assembler; why shouldn't we require a
>> non-stone age binutils?  A distinction between the two seems horribly
>> silly to me.  If you don't have the necessary dependencies to compile
>> x264 with assembly, you can use --disable-asm.
>>
>> A configure check, much like the yasm one, might be useful however.
>
> My understanding of why NetBSD still uses binutils 2.16.1 is for
> ideological reasons; later versions are all GPL3.  I can roll my own
> binutils and use that to compile, but I thought it was worth noting to the
> list that there are modern distros that can't compile x264 in its current
> state.  OpenBSD appears to still be using binutils 2.15, which is even
> worse; I'm not sure what FreeBSD is using.

Modern distros ... using binutils 2.15.  ROTFL at that oxymoron.

If you must use binutils 2.16, use software from the same era, and
there will be no problems.  If new software were not allowed to take
advantage of new compiler/assembler features, there would be no point
making new versions of these.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans at mansr.com