[x264-devel] CALL FOR MPEG4-AVC/H.264 CODECS COMPARISON

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 18:03:02 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Eric Viscito <eric at ev-consulting.com> wrote:

> On Mon, February 16, 2009 4:37 am, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>> Since x264's recent psy optimizations have proven quite definitively
>> that one can achieve greatly improved visual quality while decreasing
>> both PSNR and SSIM, will their be a subjective comparison as well as
>> an objective one?
>
> Hi Jason,
>
> Is there any written report substantiating these claims?  I would be very
> interested to see that!
>
> Proof is such a strong word, especially when accompanied by a word like
> definitive.  Subjective tests for assessing video coding impairments are
> time and labor intensive.  I'm curious what kind of tests were run.

If we didn't have what I consider "proof", I wouldn't have made the commit. ;)

While subjective tests can theoretically be time and labor intensive,
it takes quite little time and labor when:

1) Option B is basically always better than Option A
2) Nearly everyone agrees about 1)

As usual, testing was done on a few dozen sources of different types
and results compared.

Dark Shikari