[x264-devel] commit: Fix C99ism in r1066 (Jason Garrett-Glaser )

Guillaume POIRIER gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Fri Jan 2 23:08:30 CET 2009

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
>>> x264 | branch: master | Jason Garrett-Glaser <darkshikari at gmail.com>
>>> | Thu Jan  1 21:38:33 2009 -0500|
>>> [1e2f6d258df09874e2e0c85ef611f27d397555bf] | committer: Jason
>>> Garrett-Glaser
>>>
>>> Fix C99ism in r1066
>>
>> BTW, what's the coding guidelines about this? I use C99's mixed code
>> with declaration in Altivec code, since all the compilers that are
>> supposed to compile this code support C99.
>>
>> Are you avoiding C99ism for "cosmetic" reasons or because some
>> compiler (I want names!) don't support it?
>
> We were avoiding mixed code with declarations because msvc doesn't support
> it. I history-editted to remove this revision because I'm dropping support
> for msvc.
> Feel free to argue with that decision, but know that I don't consider
> "some devs use it and they have no choice" to be a sufficient argument.

I simply don't care about MSVC so do as you please.
We are already 10 years after year 1999 so I don't think it's too much
to ask to require a "modern" compiler.

For people who want to use Microsoft studio, it's always possible to
use Intel's C compiler instead of MSVC since it's drop-in compatible
with it.

Guillaume
--
Only a very small fraction of our DNA does anything; the rest is all
comments and ifdefs.