[x264-devel] [patch] control of maximum nalu size (multi-sclicing)

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:11:18 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Mathieu Monnier<manao at melix.net> wrote:
>> This is because I don't want people using slicing for decoding
>> parallelism purposes.
>
> In itself, that patch can't be used for that purpose.

Why not?  If I committed a slicing patch, it would be a *good* slicing
patch, and it would allow both number-of-MBs per slice,
number-of-slices-per-frame, and a maximum NALU size as well.

> As for the validity of the reason for rejecting the patch, invoking what
> happens in another project doesn't look like a valid reason to me. You have
> every right to refuse a patch, but if you invoke a reason, make it at least
> a good one.

ffmpeg is the most popular decoder used for x264 streams, so it only
makes sense to make judgements based on what happens in that project.

There is one solution though: we could turn on the bit that enables
deblocking between slices, which would break parallelized decoding.

Dark Shikari