[x264-devel] FPGAs and x264

David Smith agentdavo at mac.com
Sat Jul 4 21:23:04 CEST 2009

HI,

I am currently working on a project to offload x264 functions to an
FPGA.  I have read several papers recently that describe the
offloading of x264_me_search_ref.   However, that is a large function
to replicate in hardware and well beyond the scope of my project.

Fo my current project I am designing a SAD/SATD 16 core processor.
Each core will have 4 processing elements.  Each element can compute
up to either a 8x8 SAD or SATD.

What are your thoughts on, for example

  --threads 16 with each thread directed to a specific FPGA core. Then
queue the computation of 4 8x8 SAD/SATDs per thread to the FPGA - so
that we are transferring and computing a meaningful amount of data
whilst reducing PCIe bus saturation.

Any input or guidance is appreciated.

David.