[x264-devel] Motion Estimation

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 00:07:48 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 2:44 PM, David Smith<agentdavo at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Before I go and search for more material, are there any documents regarding
> how x264 does its frame base encoding? Any specific pointers to where I
> should start to look in the code with regards to moving frames to their own
> threads?
> Can you make any comments on the following ME algorithm and whether it would
> be compatible with x264_me_search_ref
>     - 4-pel square search keeping 3 best vectors with range 64 providing
> starting point for 1-pel
>     - 1-pel square search of above found areas with range 16
> Thanks,
> David.

Sure, that would be very easy to implement (a couple lines of code).

Note that http://git.videolan.org/?p=x264.git;a=commit;h=f7bfcfaa36ac3f04447f668f94db73801ca86e4d
made motion estimation code significantly more complicated (for
optimization purposes); feel free to roll it back locally if it makes
things easier.

Dark Shikari.