[x264-devel] Motion Estimation

David Smith agentdavo at mac.com
Mon Jul 13 21:53:26 CEST 2009

OK,

I am in the process of packing up dependencies so that I can pass the
compute of x264_me_search_ref over to a PCIe x4 multi core DSP board
with 2Gb global memory.  Assume a messaging system is already in place
between the host PC and the dsp board.

A function replicating x264_me_search_ref is running on DSP core 0
with job management that sends a x264_me_search_ref call to each core.

I have been trying to figure out the data dependancy with Understand
v2 / Netbeans and how other threads change, if at all, the current
thread structures *h & *m.  Would it simply a case of copying the *h
*m structures for each call of x264_me_search_ref over to the dsp
board memory and returning them back at the end for each thread?  I
assume that would be an unnecessarily large replication of data for
each call per thread.

How about if the structures are copied once on the first call per
frame?  Would that be enough to satisfy the dependancy for the rest of
the frame up until
h->mb.i_mb_xy = h->m.i_mb_count

Any thoughts or comments welcomed.

Thanks,