[x264-devel] Bus error

Zubair Ali Khan zkhan at d2tech.com
Thu Mar 5 18:47:29 CET 2009

I recently compiled x264 to be run on ARM Cortex A8 processor.
However, when I run the encode, I get a bus error, that is program
receives SIGBUS.

[libx264 @ 0x8abfc0]using cpu capabilities: none!
[libx264 @ 0x8abfc0]profile Baseline, level 1.2
Bus Error

Further debugging shows that bus error occurs in encoder/set.c at
bs_write_ue( s, sps->i_log2_max_poc_lsb - 4 );

Some alignment issue for data location sps->i_log2_max_poc_lsb - 4 ?

I have compiled with or without pthread support with same crash.
I compiled with or without debug with same crash.

I compiled using:
cd ~/x264-snapshot-20090302-2245
./configure --host=arm-linux
--cross-prefix=/opt/ac801/tools/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
--enable-debug --disable-pthread
make install prefix=/opt/ac801/tools/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/usr

Configure output is:
Platform:   ARM
System:     LINUX
asm:        no
avis input: no
mp4 output: no
pthread:    no
debug:      yes
gprof:      no
PIC:        no
shared:     no
visualize:  no

Toolchain is freely available from:
http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm/releases/2007q3
(Selected ARM GNU/Linux, IA32 GNU/Linux)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Z Khan