[x264-devel] Bus error

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Thu Mar 5 20:07:03 CET 2009

Zubair Ali Khan <zkhan at d2tech.com> writes:

> I recently compiled x264 to be run on ARM Cortex A8 processor.
> However, when I run the encode, I get a bus error, that is program
> receives SIGBUS.
>
> [libx264 @ 0x8abfc0]using cpu capabilities: none!
> [libx264 @ 0x8abfc0]profile Baseline, level 1.2
> Bus Error

You seem to be using x264 through FFmpeg.  Does it work standalone?
Does the FFmpeg build work for other codecs?

> Further debugging shows that bus error occurs in encoder/set.c at
> bs_write_ue( s, sps->i_log2_max_poc_lsb - 4 );
>
> Some alignment issue for data location sps->i_log2_max_poc_lsb - 4 ?

The Cortex-A8 processor supports unaligned accesses for most
instructions.  I don't see anything in the code that looks likely to
cause problems.  Can you provide some gdb output from the crash?
Specifically, run these commands:

bt
info registers
disas $pc-64 $pc+64