[x264-devel] implementing Cluster farming?

Guillaume POIRIER gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Sun Mar 15 10:10:37 CET 2009

Hello,

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Steven Walters <kemuri9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since x264 can use up a 100% of a computer's CPU,
> I was thinking if it would be at all feasible to implement beowulf clustering,
> so it can use up nearby (or not so nearby) computers as well...
>
> i was thinking of implementing it over sockets, which after doing some
> sample coding with
> it, it was fairly simple to implement with gnu's (linux) and winsock2
> (win) libraries.
> (dunno what mac does currently for socket implementation)
>
> implementing the actual socket programming outside of x264 is all fine
> and decently easy
> but inserting it into x264 and being useful is becoming a much different story.

The cleanest solution to do what you want is to use MPI
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Passing_Interface).

Guillaume
--
Only a very small fraction of our DNA does anything; the rest is all
comments and ifdefs.

Douglas Adams  - "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they
make as they fly by."