[x264-devel] Patch open gop

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 17:52:27 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Trahald<wewk584 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok attached patch has strict dpb built in (not an option) and also makes
> sure no pframes reference bframes (brefs are removed by the first P/i after
> the B/b frames (coded order)
> for your consideration..
>
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser
> <darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Can you send a patch which just adds MMCO b-pyramid?  With strictdpb
>> on by default (forced on, no option), I don't want x264 violating the
>> spec.
>>
>> I'd like to get this in quickly, which means the way to do this
>> fastest is to split it into subcomponents which can be most easily
>> committed.
>>
>> Dark Shikari

OK, I did a lot of analysis using this yesterday (and I wrote part of
b-pyramid mbtree), and testing seems to show that keeping B-refs is
better than throwing them away because lower-quality refs that are
close temporally are better than high-quality refs which are far away
temporally.

This means that the "strict heirarchical" structure you've set up is
suboptimal quality-wise, but of course some things require it (e.g.
Blu-ray).

What would I need to do to make this strict heirarchicalness optional,
i.e. still abide by DPB in all cases, but make the default B-pyramid
work as before (except spec-compliant) and have an extra option to
make it strictly heirarchical for Blu-ray?

Dark Shikari