[x264-devel] Latest Build Failed

Vincent Predoehl vpredoehl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 06:12:35 CET 2010

Building the latest x264 failed for me on MacOS X with this link
error:  I have faac / faad2 installed.  I just discovered x264 several
months ago and had no trouble with the initial build.  I assumed that
running "./configure" updated the code with git, but now I believe I
was mistaken about that … the latest ffmpeg build complained that I
needed x264 >=-0.83.

Anyway, what do I need to install to get x264 to build?  I added /usr/
local/lib, the location of faac / faad2 to the path in hopes it would
solve the link error, but no suck luck…

gcc -o x264 x264.o input/yuv.o input/y4m.o output/raw.o output/
matroska.o output/matroska_ebml.o output/flv.o output/flv_bytestream.o
input/thread.o input/lavf.o libx264.a -lm -lpthread -s -L. -lavformat -
lswscale -lavcodec -lavutil -lm -lz -lbz2 -lpthread
ld64: warning: option -s is obsolete and being ignored
Undefined symbols:
   "_faacEncSetConfiguration", referenced from:
       _Faac_encode_init in libavcodec.a(libfaac.o)
   "_NeAACDecInit2", referenced from:
       _NeAACDecInit2$non_lazy_ptr in libavcodec.a(libfaad.o)
   "_faacEncOpen", referenced from:
       _Faac_encode_init in libavcodec.a(libfaac.o)
   "_NeAACDecGetCurrentConfiguration", referenced from:
       _NeAACDecGetCurrentConfiguration$non_lazy_ptr in
libavcodec.a(libfaad.o)
   "_x264_encoder_open_79", referenced from:
       _X264_init in libavcodec.a(libx264.o)
   "_faacEncClose", referenced from:
       _Faac_encode_init in libavcodec.a(libfaac.o)
       _Faac_encode_init in libavcodec.a(libfaac.o)
       _Faac_encode_close in libavcodec.a(libfaac.o)
   "_NeAACDecInit", referenced from:
       _NeAACDecInit$non_lazy_ptr in libavcodec.a(libfaad.o)
   "_NeAACDecOpen", referenced from:
       _NeAACDecOpen$non_lazy_ptr in libavcodec.a(libfaad.o)
   "_faacEncEncode", referenced from:
       _Faac_encode_frame in libavcodec.a(libfaac.o)
   "_faacEncGetCurrentConfiguration", referenced from:
       _Faac_encode_init in libavcodec.a(libfaac.o)
   "_NeAACDecGetErrorMessage", referenced from:
       _NeAACDecGetErrorMessage$non_lazy_ptr in libavcodec.a(libfaad.o)
   "_NeAACDecDecode", referenced from:
       _NeAACDecDecode$non_lazy_ptr in libavcodec.a(libfaad.o)
   "_NeAACDecClose", referenced from:
       _NeAACDecClose$non_lazy_ptr in libavcodec.a(libfaad.o)
   "_NeAACDecSetConfiguration", referenced from:
       _NeAACDecSetConfiguration$non_lazy_ptr in libavcodec.a(libfaad.o)
   "_faacEncGetDecoderSpecificInfo", referenced from:
       _Faac_encode_init in libavcodec.a(libfaac.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [x264] Error 1
Mac-Mini:x264 vpredoehl$