[x264-devel] MSU MPEG4-AVC/H.264 codecs comparison

Dmitriy Vatolin dmitriy at graphics.cs.msu.ru
Mon Feb 1 23:28:11 CET 2010

Dear Developers,

  As usual Moscow State University Graphics & Multimedia Laboratory
  starts next 6-th H.264 codecs comparison.

  1. We received results for subjective comparison of several selected
     codecs.

     As was promised they was compared:
     * On sequence with frequent fade effect.
     * On sport event sequence.
     * On HD sequences.
     * On cartoon sequence.

     Tested codecs:
     * x264
     * Elecard H.264
     * Mainconcept H.264
     * DivX H.264
     * DivX ASP - as reference (pretty good MPEG-4 ASP implementation)

     Also we received psychovisial presets for x264, Elecard H.264 and
     Mainconcept H.264 from codec developers.

     For x264 psychovisial presets was tested and interesting results
     received (not so obvious).

     Also visual comparison of 4 good implementation of H.264 provide
     material for analysis.

     Other results will be published with objective part.

  2. As was noted in "Call for codecs" in this year we will use our
     new system of exhaustive options analysis, so we can select
     reasonable options (sometimes better, than developers).

     So our question for experts: What codecs are the most interesting
     for you for including into this year comparison?

  3. Also for the future questions for companies: What usecases are
     the most interesting for you?

  Please answer to <videocodec-testing at graphics.cs.msu.ru>

  Thank you!

  Also do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Yours,
 Dr. Vatolin