[x264-devel] Bug: two compiles needed to have x264 linked against latest libx264

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Jan 18 03:27:01 CET 2010

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Markus Doits wrote:

> had the previous 2.1 ffms-input-patch installed and x264 compiled
> dynamic. So i had a "libx264.so.81".
>
> After reverting the patch, updating the git-tree to rev 3d0f11 and
> compiling again, x264 was linked against the old "libx264.so.81".
>
> installing gave me a "libx264.so.83", so i reconfigured x264 again,
> built it and whoila, it was now linked against "libx264.so.83" as it should.

Even with --enable-shared, x264cli shouldn't use any version of
libx264.so. It links against libx264.a (by filename in the builddir,
not with -l).
The only way you get libx264.so should be via libavcodec. x264cli uses
libavcodec for decoding, not encoding, so it doesn't matter what version
of libx264.so that is.

Otoh, if libavcodec links to libx264, and you didn't recompile libavcodec
in between, then switching installed libx264.so versions should have
given you a link error. (Different so versions are by definition not
binary compatible, and libx264 in particular has taken steps to ensure
that that takes the form of a fatal error and not a runtime corruption.)
So I dunno what's up.

--Loren Merritt