[x264-devel] Bug: two compiles needed to have x264 linked against latest libx264

Markus Doits markus.doits at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:50:21 CET 2010

On 01/18/2010 03:27 AM, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Markus Doits wrote:
>
>> had the previous 2.1 ffms-input-patch installed and x264 compiled
>> dynamic. So i had a "libx264.so.81".
>>
>> After reverting the patch, updating the git-tree to rev 3d0f11 and
>> compiling again, x264 was linked against the old "libx264.so.81".
>>
>> installing gave me a "libx264.so.83", so i reconfigured x264 again,
>> built it and whoila, it was now linked against "libx264.so.83" as it
>> should.
>
> Even with --enable-shared, x264cli shouldn't use any version of
> libx264.so. It links against libx264.a (by filename in the builddir, not
> with -l).

you're right, just checked the command line on building and it uses x264.a

> The only way you get libx264.so should be via libavcodec. x264cli uses
> libavcodec for decoding, not encoding, so it doesn't matter what version
> of libx264.so that is.

that must have been my problem.

> Otoh, if libavcodec links to libx264, and you didn't recompile
> libavcodec in between, then switching installed libx264.so versions
> should have given you a link error. (Different so versions are by
> definition not binary compatible, and libx264 in particular has taken
> steps to ensure that that takes the form of a fatal error and not a
> runtime corruption.) So I dunno what's up.

yeah, i had a linker-error (because my old .so wasn't there anymore).
iirc the only thing i did was to recompile x264 again, but now i see
that can't be it (because it isn't x264 that links against the .so).

so there must have been something in between recompiling libavcodec -
which i can't recall anymore... so drop that bugreport without a bug.

Markus