[x264-devel] commit: Simplify pixel_ads (Loren Merritt )

Dylan Klebesadel dylanklebesadel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 07:26:47 CEST 2010

I don't know how to say this, or make a bug report (because I don't know if
this is a bug with x264 or handbreak)

I think x264 is a really good compressor, but transcoding from like xvid or
dvix VERSUS transcoding from raw; raw wouldn't be the "decoder's" it would
be 100% encoder's ability to compress.

So anyway raw is frigging huge.
A 10 min movie is 28 GIGABYTES! (modern storage its not so bad)
I get out of memory errors when transcoding and whatnot.
If I compress the video first it works just fine (100 megabytes)
And if I do a shorter raw clip it seems fine. (I have 12 gigs of ram, my
machine is not a lightweight)

Is there a way you guys can fix this; like limit the max memory to 4 gigs or
something high but not ridiculous.
CLI.exe (the encoder) starts off with VERY low cpu usage (unlike other
videos) (3-10%)
then it grows in ram usage until it gets to about 2 gigs and gives up and
shoots an out of memory error.

I don't know who else to tell.

I would also like to thank each and every one of you for your great work
(x264>all other avc codecs>all other codecs)
We are number one. With all your help we stay number one forever, no one can
TOUCH our compression and no one ever will. Thank you for your help. Good
luck to you, may all your travels be fruitful after you leave.