[x264-devel] x264 + high res + high rate

Alex Jurkiewicz alex at bluebottle.net.au
Tue Mar 23 16:02:44 CET 2010

Hi,

On 23 March 2010 21:18, Purvin Pandit <purvinp at hotmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason VLC is not able to play this back. Looking at the
> "Messages" in VLC shows dropped frames. I am unable to tell if this is
> related to the encoding or VLC unable to handle the high rates. I do have
> other sequences encoded at very high rate & such resolutions which VLC can
> decode no problem so I doubts its related to VLC.
>
> I have tried several other rates (down to 25Mbps) but I have the same
> issue, after playing the 1st few frames VLC starts stuttering and eventually
> stops. I even tried multipass with other settings:

Sounds like your stream is too complex to be decoded in realtime. VLC's
h.264 decoder isn't what I'd call "fast", so you can consider that related
to VLC or not. Try a faster decoder: CoreAVC or DivX's h.264 decoder on
Windows, or a build of mplayer with an ffmpeg-mt build of libavcodec for
Linux.

Alex