[x264-devel] [Intro] GSoC High Bit Depth Encoding project

Oskar Arvidsson oskar at irock.se
Wed May 19 21:10:44 CEST 2010

Hi everybody,

My name is Oskar Arvidsson [irock], and I've been hanging out in
#x264-devel for a while. I'm an undergraduate CS student at KTH in
Stockholm, Sweden and I've been accepted to work on this years Google
Summer of Code for the x264 project. Holger Lubitz [holger] will be my
mentor.

The main goal of my project is to enable support for encoding with
higher bit depth per sample with x264. My plan is to first template the
encoder so that support for high bit depths can be enabled at compile
time, and then patch existing code so that it works with user defined
bit depths.

I have created a basic wiki page which I will update with my proceedings
thoughout the summmer:

    http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2010/High_Bit_Depth_Encoding

I'm really glad to have the opportunity to contribute to the x264
project! It will surely be a great summer!

Sincerely,
Oskar Arvidsson