[x264-devel] Scenecut decision in first Mini-GOP of slice analysis window

Nageswara Gunupudi Nageswara.Gunupudi at harmonicinc.com
Fri May 21 02:00:26 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am studying the adaptive B-frames algorithm in x264 encoder. I have following questions regarding scenecut detection as part of adaptive B frames selection.

1.  Why is that only the first mini-GOP checked for any scenecuts after finding the best number B frames in the analysis window of frames (in x264_slicetype_analyse function). Also if the scene cut is found, the frame is coded as P frame not as I, what the practical reason behind it?

2.  If any scene change detected in the mini-GOP, the frame-cost analysis obtained for the frames after the frame at scenecut are discarded. Is understanding correct?

3.  What exactly the 'real_scenecut' argument variable in 'scenecut' function meant for?

Please provide me your inputs on my questions above. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Nag