[x264-devel] Questions regarding frame rate conversion

Michael Repplinger repplinger at motama.com
Mon Oct 25 12:26:13 CEST 2010

Hi list,

I have some questions regarding the H.264 encoder and it would be great
if some of you could spent a few minutes to answer them.  I have to
convert a video stream with 25 fps (PAL) to 29.97 fps (NTSC). Apart from
changing resolution, I have some questions regarding converting the
frame rate.

1) Does the x264 encoder internally supports this frame rate conversion
without changing the playback time ( so that 60sec of the original video
in 25fps are also 60 sec with the new frame rate)? Or do I have to
convert the framerate on the uncompressed video frames by myself?

2) In case the x264 encoder supports frame rate conversion from
25fps->29.97fps, which technique is used?

3) In case the x264 encoder supports frame rate conversion from
25fps->29.97fps, is it recommended to use it, or are there other
techniques that are more recommended togehter with the x264 encoder?

4) In case the x264 econder does NOT support frame rate conversion,
could some of you recommend a technique or library for frame rate
conversion from 25fps->29.97 which achievs a good quality?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards
  Michael