[x264-devel] Retrieve statistics from CABAC Entropy Encoder

Loic lll+vlc at m4x.org
Wed Sep 8 12:08:43 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday September 08 2010 at 12:03:52 PM +0300, backgroundman wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I need to retrieve some informations/statistics from the encoding process.
> I need statistics about the encoded bitstream before CABAC Entropy Encoder
> process
> (% of bits being Motion Vector Differences, % of bits being Macroblock
> Quantization
> Delta (Change), % of bits being Macroblock Type, and others).
> Furthermore, I need statistics from the CABAC Entropy Encoder Binarization
> process
> (% use of Unary(U), Truncated Unary(TU), Fixed-Length(FL), k-th order
> Exp-Golomb(EGk),
> Unary/k-th order Exp-Golomb(UEGk) binarization scheme).
>
> 2. Is there any other program (free or commercial) that can retrieve these
> information from an encoded video ?

You can use the JM reference decoder. After decoding a stream, it
outputs a trace_dec.txt (if enabled at compile time) which you can parse
to get some of the information you want. At if you don't have enough
information in trace_dec file, you can add the necessary logging in the
code quite easily.

You can get this program here: http://iphome.hhi.de/suehring/tml/

Best regards
--
Loïc

Only a very small fraction of our DNA does anything; the rest is all
comments and ifdefs.