[x264-devel] proposal: nal-hrd and interlacing

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Wed Jul 20 19:00:09 CEST 2011

Kieran and Yufei,

What you are saying is exactly what I would expect. But it seems I am not the only one
having this problem, so something must be weird.

This is where I got the idea to try nal-hrd:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154550

and it works, I don't know how or why.

Can it be that actually pic_struct does the trick and that is enabled by using nal-hrd?

My STB doesn't need nal-hrd or any strict vbv-setting whatsoever, it's very "easy" on the
specs and it plays almost everything, even if it's a bit broken.

I would love to test it on another STB, but that is no option, I don't know anyone that
has a stb that has both significantly different software and hardware.

FWIW at what level is nal-hrd and pict_struct implemented, is it something the demuxer
handles (in that case it's gstreamer for mp4 and broadcom hardware for transport streams)
or is it handled by the decoder (broadcom hardware)? As both mp4 and ts exhibit the same
isse, I suspect the last.