[x264-devel] proposal: nal-hrd and interlacing

Yufei Yuan yfyuan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 22:54:53 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name> wrote:
> Kieran and Yufei,
>
> What you are saying is exactly what I would expect. But it seems I am not
> the only one having this problem, so something must be weird.
>
> This is where I got the idea to try nal-hrd:
>
> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154550
>
> and it works, I don't know how or why.
>
> Can it be that actually pic_struct does the trick and that is enabled by
> using nal-hrd?

Try the '--pic-struct' option in your setting.

> My STB doesn't need nal-hrd or any strict vbv-setting whatsoever, it's very
> "easy" on the specs and it plays almost everything, even if it's a bit
> broken.
>
> I would love to test it on another STB, but that is no option, I don't know
> anyone that has a stb that has both significantly different software and
> hardware.

You can use PS3 if that's easier for you to find. Set up a UPnP
server, like MediaTomb, and stream your MP4 file to PS3. Preferably
hook up your dusty dumb tube TV instead of a shiny LED that tries to
outsmart others.

> FWIW at what level is nal-hrd and pict_struct implemented, is it something
> the demuxer handles (in that case it's gstreamer for mp4 and broadcom
> hardware for transport streams) or is it handled by the decoder (broadcom
> hardware)? As both mp4 and ts exhibit the same isse, I suspect the last.

This is handled by the decoder, either in the broadcom driver or their firmware.