[x264-devel] does not link lavf support

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Tue Jun 21 11:53:40 CEST 2011

> oh, and av_open_input_file still crashes even with that indicated change.
> specifying --input-res for your input should workaround the issue for now...

... and that doesn't fix the segfault anymore as well ...

I must say I am a bit p****d at the moment, because of the whole history
of libavcodec vs. x264 problems the last two weeks. I am not blaming the
x264 devels but the feeling remains nevertheless.

First we had the sws_format_name() function disappearing from libav*,
which they had every right to because it was not in the public api. I
was told to switch from "ffmpeg" to "libav" because in that fork the
function had been enabled again ("and 'everybody' was using libav now,
anyway"). So I did, x264 compiled again and it broke my other uses of
ffmpeg(!)

Now we have the issue of x264 segfaulting, probably in libswscale. The
workaround using --input-res has been working for 1 or 2 days and now it
doesn't help as well.

So I switched back to the ffmpeg fork, and exactly the same problem
appears (segfault in libswscale).

I'd be fine with using ffmpeg (the cli) instead of x264, BUT I can't use
it because it doesn't call libx264 properly regarding to interlacing
(suggested by one of devels here...)

So I am stuck now, can't encode.

AFAIK x264 is the only program that segfaults on the av_open_input_file
(emulation), so imho something has been wrong on the x264 side for a
long time, but it hadn't appeared before.

So PLEASE can someone have a look at this issue? I don't really care
whether it's a patch to x264 or ffmpeg or libav, btw.

Please CC.