[x264-devel] How can I reduce I-Frame Beating?

Raul Lopez rlopez at rgbnetworks.com
Sat Apr 14 17:53:10 CEST 2012

When Encoding using the x264 20120313 release using a an open-GOP of 25 or 24 on 50Hz high-motion video I get noticeable I-Frame Beating (where the I Frame looks noticeably better than the previous P or B Frame).

I tried changing the ipratio and pbratio but with GOP of 24 the B before the I still has an average QP of 32 or 33 vs the I and P frames at 28 or 29 encoding 720p video at 4 Mbps.

Does anybody know how to reduce the I-Frame beating? Other competing solutions have reduced beating and are more pleasant to watch.

RAUL