[x264-devel] x264 producing (possibly) malformed stream

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason at x264.com
Mon Dec 24 05:06:53 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM, mashiat.sarker at gmail.com
<mashiat.sarker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> We have been having some issues with muxing a certain h264 stream
> (transcoded by x264) using l-smash. So I looked into l-smash and tried to
> pin-point the exact issue. It looks like x264 produces a stream that is not
> strictly spec-compliant. To be precise, muxing fails in
> lsmash_check_h264_parameter_set_appendable() function in l-smash codebase
> where it checks for duplicate sps_id; below the comment "/* Forbidden to
> duplicate SPS that has the same seq_parameter_set_id with different form
> within the same configuration record. */".

As far as I know there's nothing against the spec about that -- that
happens all the time, like in the case of resolution changes and
aspect ratio changes in broadcast television.  It *would* be a problem
muxing to mp4, but (at least in those example cases), there's
certainly nothing x264 could do about that!

Jason