[x264-devel] Generating H264 for iPad?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Thu Feb 23 20:45:56 CET 2012

Hi Michael,

Am 23.02.2012 14:53, schrieb Michael Roitzsch:

> You're playing AVI on the iPad?

Currently I am still using .mp4 for testing, but I plan to use avi
because I also want to support video files with several audio tracks
(german/english).

I have a 704x464 H.264 video in avi with two audio tracks that runs well
on iPad (with app goodplayer). But 704x464 is not 1280x720.

> Maybe that's the root cause for your problems. Since Apple’s AVFoundation does not support AVI on iOS, I assume you use a third-party player app? This player may not use the hardware accelerated decoding then. (Which may be hard to do, since the acceleration is probably not exposed with an API, but only accessible through AVFoundation.)

Well, I'm using goodplayer app, and trying to figure out why this app
can play some 1280x720 H.264 videos I've downloaded from Internet (e.g.
youtube) very well, while it can display videos converted with ffmpeg
under ubuntu into 1280x720 H.264 only in lower resolutions.

Something is bad with what ffmpeg produces based on libx264, and I don't
know what it is yet.

regards
Hadmut