[x264-devel] Generating H264 for iPad?

Michael Roitzsch mroi at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 23 20:54:30 CET 2012

Hi Hadmut,

>> You're playing AVI on the iPad?
>
> Currently I am still using .mp4 for testing, but I plan to use avi
> because I also want to support video files with several audio tracks
> (german/english).
>
> I have a 704x464 H.264 video in avi with two audio tracks that runs well
> on iPad (with app goodplayer). But 704x464 is not 1280x720.

To reduce the number of variables in this problem, I would recommend all of the following:
a) use MP4 (which also supports multiple audio tracks with language tagging)
b) use the iPad's built-in player
c) use x264 or ffmpeg or HandBrake and do a baseline profile encode

If that works, you can try moving up to main profile instead of baseline.
If that works, you can try using an alternative player.

Michael