[x264-devel] Generating H264 for iPad?

Jason Garrett-Glaser jason at x264.com
Thu Feb 23 21:18:50 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> the damned -preset / -profile parameters including their
>>> x264-values are changing permanently - this way you can
>>> NEVER make a useful wrapper without maintain hughe
>>> code-switches and ways control them by a specific
>>> ffmpeg-version
>>
>> I have no idea what you're even saying here.  The -preset/-profile
>> names have never changed since their introduction many years ago.
>> ffmpeg has had per-codec option support for ages now too, so there
>> really isn't any excuse to continue this mess.
>
> this is simply not true
>
> ffmpeg -i demo.mp4 -vcodec 'libx264' -acodec 'libfaac' -vpre 'baseline' -vpre '-vpre fastfirstpass'  xxx.mp4
> File for preset '-vpre fastfirstpass' not found
>
> this worked 1-5 years ago and was renamed multiple times
> and yes i do two-pass-ecoding and with throw away the
> presets it is no more randomly broken after ffmpeg updates

The option is called -preset, not "-vpre".

The program is called avconv, not ffmpeg.  ffmpeg is no longer maintained.

>> 1.  You're using ABR mode, which is strongly discouraged
>
> as you above i have no idea what you are saying here

Then why are you giving advice if you don't know what the options
you're using do?!

> and that is one MORE reason to set them because if someone
> changes the defaults it is NOT my intention to get changed
> any behavior in my wrapper

> because after many hours of testing and optimizing this were the
> best defaults with minimum file size, maximum converting speed
> and best quality compared a hughe amount of input/output files
> and this until know has worked for each convert with expected
> good result and without touching the ffmpeg-php-wrapper for more
> than 1.5 years so it is currently useable with older ffmpeg
> versions as also with the newest one

You are clueless.  You don't know what the options you're using are,
they're completely cargo-cult.  Did you do large-scale PSNR or SSIM
testing?  Obviously not, because your commandline is simply nonsense.

You don't even know what ABR mode is -- which is explained on the help
page (!!), yet you claim this all-encompassing knowledge?

This is your last warning before I hand out a mailing list block for
giving misleading and incorrect advice to users of our program.

Jason