[x264-devel] Dynamic linker uses the "versioned" x264 library, not generic

Elliot Saba staticfloat at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 00:45:51 CEST 2012

Hello, all.  I'm here trying to figure out why, on my machine (OSX 10.8.2,
clang compiler, using Homebrew as a package manager) my dynamic linker
picks out the "versioned" x264 library, not the generic one.  As I am on
OSX, this turns out to be *libx264.125.dylib*, as opposed to the generic
symlink *libx264.dylib*.

This is a problem as whenever libx264 gets a version bump, I then have to
re-link all software that uses libx264.  A real-world example:

*$ otool -L `which ffmpeg` | grep x264*
*/Users/sabae/.homebrew/lib/libx264.125.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0,
current version 0.0.0)*

No other software on my computer does this, and it's not something inherent
in the Homebrew method of compiling ffmpeg, because even if I download
ffmpeg-1.0 source, configure with *--enable-gpl --enable-libx264* and *make*,
I still end up with an *ffmpeg* executable dynamically linked to *
libx264.125.dylib*.

Thank you,
-E