[x264-devel] Encoding parameter help

Jan Ekholm jan.ekholm at smultron.net
Mon Apr 7 08:50:26 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm quite new to the world of encoding video and x264 is a fairly complex beast when
it comes to configurability. I'm basically looking for some help in setting up the encoder
parameters for a case that uses x264. Said help can be commercial too, i.e. I'm
prepared to pay for it.

My use case is that I need to encode video that I get from locally connected cameras
(USB or built in) and stream that to one or more remote parties. In this case it's important
that the latency is as low as possible to maintain some form of interactivity and that
bandwidth is conserved. I also optionally want to encode the same video with a bit
higher quality where latency is less of an issue.

I have tried quite a lot of things to get the latency good, but when I play my stream in
VLC it's choppy, 1-3s delayed and the image is terribly broken. Apparently I don't
do it correctly.

So, I'm looking for some help with setting up my x264_param_t for a few quality
and latency cases. What I'm looking for is thus not a complete application or
anything similar, mostly help with filling in suitable parameters that should work for
me and my network environment and perhaps some general pointers for how the
further handle the encoded data. I apologize if this is the wrong place for such a request.

Best regards,
    Jan Ekholm