[x264-devel] How to specify GOP structure and reference frames

Kovacs Peter p.kovacs at holografika.com
Tue Apr 15 01:19:04 CEST 2014

Hi All,

I'd like to explicitly specify the GOP by specifying frame types and the
references used by P and B frames. I can see --qpfile can be used for
frame types, but I cannot see any option to specify the references. I'm
about to do some MVC experiments, therefore need to tell the encoder
which views to use as references.

I suspect x264_reference_build_list() in encoder.c is the function that
selects the references for the frame.
Does anybody have a patch for doing this?
Hints for modifying this function to suit my needs are also welcome.

Thanks,
Peter