[x264-devel] Compiling x264 with Visual Studio 2010 and Intel compiler

BugMaster BugMaster at narod.ru
Tue Dec 9 19:58:24 CET 2014

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 13:09:06 +0100, Kovacs Peter wrote:

> [1] http://kemuri9.net/dev/x264/other/intel_howto.html

>      Dear Steven,
>
>      thanks for pointing this out. Indeed, the steps in the
> referenced     guide still work with this combination of tools
> (using this     workaround
> https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/531996).
>      However please note that the original purpose of making a VS
> project     for it was to facilitate single stepping in the code for
> students     who are more familiar with VS. If I'm not mistaken,
> compiling with     the Intel compiler using above methods does not allow that.
>
>      Best regards,
>      Peter

It allow single stepping in VS without any problems (at least with VS
2013 here) if you will compile x264 with debugging info:

CC=icl ./configure --enable-debug

During compilation it will create x264.exe and x264.pdb file with
debugging info. After that you can open x264.exe in VS with
File/Open/Project/Solution... menu, choose executable running
parameters and then debug start debug it as usual. Drag and drop
needed source file if you want to set break point beforehand without
debugging to there.