[x264-devel] Compiling x264 with Visual Studio 2010 and Intel compiler

Kovacs Peter p.kovacs at holografika.com
Wed Dec 10 12:54:52 CET 2014

On 12/9/2014 7:58 PM, BugMaster wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 13:09:06 +0100, Kovacs Peter wrote:
>
>> [1] http://kemuri9.net/dev/x264/other/intel_howto.html
>>
>>       Dear Steven,
>>
>>       thanks for pointing this out. Indeed, the steps in the
>> referenced     guide still work with this combination of tools
>> (using this     workaround
>> https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/531996).
>>       However please note that the original purpose of making a VS
>> project     for it was to facilitate single stepping in the code for
>> students     who are more familiar with VS. If I'm not mistaken,
>> compiling with     the Intel compiler using above methods does not allow that.
>>
>>       Best regards,
>>       Peter
>>

> It allow single stepping in VS without any problems (at least with VS
> 2013 here) if you will compile x264 with debugging info:
>
> CC=icl ./configure --enable-debug
>
> During compilation it will create x264.exe and x264.pdb file with
> debugging info. After that you can open x264.exe in VS with
> File/Open/Project/Solution... menu, choose executable running
> parameters and then debug start debug it as usual. Drag and drop
> needed source file if you want to set break point beforehand without
> debugging to there.
I stand corrected. With --enable-debug, it really generates a .pdb which
I can use to break into the code. However, with the current
configuration, single stepping is a bit erratic, as some optimizations
as still enabled (in x264-snapshot-20141208-2245).
Changing line 1063 of configure from
CFLAGS="-O1 -g $CFLAGS"
CFLAGS="-Od -g $CFLAGS"
to completely disable optimizations of icl makes it perfect. (-O0 does
not work in icl version 15 on windows, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_C%2B%2B_Compiler#Flags_and_manuals)

Thanks for your help,
Peter