[x264-devel] Cross making x264, Ubuntu host, Windows target

Peter SUCIU petrut.suciu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 18:03:22 CET 2015

Hello all,

Have successfully downloaded and installed Mingw64 on a Ubuntu/Linux
host, in order to do a cross platform build of x264, with a target of
Win32-64 in mind.

Have set my PATH var to include the 64bit flavour of Mingw64.

Have ran .configure with following parameters

--cross-prefix=i686-w64-ming32-
--host=i686-w64-ming32
--enable-win32thread

output from configure:

platform:      X86_64
system:        WINDOWS
cli:           yes
libx264:       internal
shared:        no
static:        no
asm:           yes
interlaced:    yes
avs:           avisynth
lavf:          no
ffms:          no
mp4:           no
gpl:           yes
thread:        win32
opencl:        yes
filters:       crop select_every
debug:         no
gprof:         no
strip:         no
PIC:           no
bit depth:     8
chroma format: all

Ran 'make' and it produced an exe. Copied that exe and ran it on a Windows
7 platform. It refuses to open an input video file. I keep getting the same
errors:

[avi] avisynth header not found
[raw] raw input needs resolution
[mp4] could not open input file via any method!

The official VideoLAN binary opens the file and encodes it with little
effort.

What am i doing wrong in my cross build process?

Thanks in advance,
Peter