[x264-devel] x264 seems to ignore --min-keyint option

Henrik Gramner henrik at gramner.com
Sun May 17 19:37:46 CEST 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Paul <ranftmaps at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The --min-keyint 30 option appears to be being ignored.
>
> Mediainfo is not reporting a key frames are a constant 30 and is reporting
> that the encoder options were as below.  Please note that in the options
> listed the value of keyint_min=16.

Is there any particular reason why'd you want to enforce a high
keyint_min? x264 is quite good at deciding optimal keyframe placement
by itself.

The technical answer is that keyint_min is actually restricted to the
interval [1, keyint_max/2+1]. Loren made this change back in 2005 (
http://git.videolan.org/?p=x264.git;a=commit;h=648328088b1c4bfb3afcbc92b6711cb7b7b5e068
), but I don't really know the reason behind the restriction and if
that reason is still relevant today. You'd have to ask him.

Henrik