[x264-devel] Thoughts on interleaved content

Pradeep Ramachandran pradeeprama at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 06:47:49 CEST 2017

> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Pradeep Ramachandran
> <pradeeprama at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am trying to encode some 1080p progessive content into interlaced
> format.
> > Would your recommend I convert it to 1080i using ffmpeg and then encode
> it
> > with x264, or is it better to use the fake-interlaced in x264. If not,
> what
> > is this flag used for?
>
> taking a page from a wise man: "I've got 99 problems and interlacing
> is all them"

I hear you! I too would like to see interleaving not being used, but it
seems to be a bug that just wouldn't leave...

> if you want real interlacing you should use the "interlace" filter

This is x264's flag, or an ffmpeg interlace filter? Does it matter to the
encoder that the video is interlaced? Won't it affect motion estimation
across layers if every other frame contains only alternate layers?