[x264-devel] patch for mono input and 4:0:0 output

Emanuele Ruffaldi emanuele.ruffaldi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 00:48:22 CEST 2017

For a recording in a resource limited board with mono input I aimed at
encoding directly the video without converting it to gray YUV (with UV as
zero). This patch implements the changes in the library for supporting the
mono input and the relative output CHROME_400.

I have placed the commits in this branch:
https://github.com/eruffaldi/x264/tree/grayscale
but I can open a pull request if needed.

Building Environment: macOS 10.12 with clang 8.0.0 and nasm 2.13

Tested encoding the RAW version of a Full HD video of 128 frames. The RAW
video has been provided to the x264 cli as YUV, grayed YUV and mono.

The output h264 video was correctly played by VLC. The test commands have
been reported here below:
   https://github.com/eruffaldi/x264/issues/1

In terms of speed the mono version encodes 3 times faster than the YUV with
zeroed UV planes.

Best Regards,
Emanuele Ruffaldi