[x264-devel] patch for mono input and 4:0:0 output

Henrik Gramner henrik at gramner.com
Mon Sep 11 00:29:49 CEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 12:48 AM, Emanuele Ruffaldi
<emanuele.ruffaldi at gmail.com> wrote:
> For a recording in a resource limited board with mono input I aimed at
> encoding directly the video without converting it to gray YUV (with UV as
> zero). This patch implements the changes in the library for supporting the
> mono input and the relative output CHROME_400.

Hi

Seems reasonable to avoid a bunch of unnecessary memory copying of
empty chroma planes in some use cases I guess. Is there any
compression efficiency gains over 4:2:0 with chroma set to
1<<(bit_depth-1)? I'd guess it's basically zero.

The commits should be squashed into a single one.

False deltas (random unrelated changes) should be removed.

The planar I420 to monochrome conversion should work for every other
YUV format with a standalone luma plane as well. Is the memcpy even
needed though?

Henrik