[x264-devel] (no subject)

Emanuele Ruffaldi emanuele.ruffaldi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 12:18:05 CEST 2017

Hi,

>> For a recording in a resource limited board with mono input I aimed at
>> encoding directly the video without converting it to gray YUV (with UV as
>> zero). This patch implements the changes in the library for supporting
the
>> mono input and the relative output CHROME_400.

>Hi

>Seems reasonable to avoid a bunch of unnecessary memory copying of
>empty chroma planes in some use cases I guess. Is there any
>compression efficiency gains over 4:2:0 with chroma set to
>1<<(bit_depth-1)? I'd guess it's basically zero.

I was not aware of this possibility, having time I could look into that but
I don't know if the patch would be smaller.

>The commits should be squashed into a single one.
>False deltas (random unrelated changes) should be removed.

Good point

>The planar I420 to monochrome conversion should work for every other
>YUV format with a standalone luma plane as well. Is the memcpy even
>needed though?

Fine. In the command line tool x264 the filter resize is in charge of the
color space conversion and I have to verify if it allows a solution without
the memcpy, this depends on the memory ownership policy in the filter.

Best Regards,

Emanuele

--
--------
Emanuele Ruffaldi, Ph.D. - Assistant Professor