[x264-devel] What can I do if I want to checkout a specified build version

Lingjiang Fang vacingfang at foxmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:07:05 UTC 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 00:56:26 -0800
Emily Bowman <silverbacknet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Build versions aren't tags, although I kind of wish they were. You can
> search x264.h's history for the commits that change X264_BUILD, and
> use anything in between the changes, but I'm sure what you really
> want is the last good rev before a breaking change.
>
> You can use the website's search, but are you wanting command line?
> You can also use:
> git log -S'X264_BUILD 160' -- x264.h
> and then find the previous non-breaking commits with
> git log <top returned hash>
> And there are ways to restrict and prettify it if you're looking for
> a less manual method.

The command line works for me, thanks.
I guess what you mean is x264 uses this macro to identify different
versions only.

And another question is , what's the difference between
branch master and branch stable, I found they both modified frequently.
Or are there any docs to explain the whole aspect of x264‘s
version/branch management.